SSL are one of the 'legends' of the recording industry, and throughout the 70's and 80's they developed some of the world's finest recording mixing desks including the legendary SL4000E and its variants, the SL 4000 G Series, 6000, 8000, 9000J and 9000.
Producers like Bob Clearmountain, Dr Dre, Trevor Horn, Mutt Lange, John Leckie, Steve Lillywhite, Chris and Tom Lord-Alge, Manny Marroquin,Hugh Padgham, Dave Pensado, Bob Rock, Nile Rodgers, Spike stent and Timbaland to name but a few, have built their careers around SSL Desks…
The smart dumb analogue console.
XL-Desk is a modern twist on the classic analogue studio console. It's designed for tracking or mixing engineers who require an analogue console within a DAW centric studio, but don't want or need the integrated DAW control and analogue level automation other SSL console products have made the new hybrid studio standard.
XL-Desk is in many ways a traditional 24 into 8 analogue console but it packs in an incredible collection of features. It has 20 channel strips: 16 dual input mono (switchable between main input or DAW return) and 4 stereo channels. The first eight channels have VHD mic pre's. There is an 18 slot 500 format rack built in that can be used for processing or mic pre's. XL-Desk ships with a legendary SSL Stereo Bus Compressor module in slots 17 & 18 (hard wired to Mix A). The rack has its own dedicated high spec' power supply. There are four main Mix Buses (A, B, C, D) with buses B, C and D able to be summed into Mix A. The Buses and channels can access the 500 rack and each have a separate insert point for processing. There are two mono aux sends and two stereo return inputs. Direct outputs on every channel, stereo return and mix bus enable convenient stem printing. Each channel has a Cue Stereo Bus section (with Pan and Volume) used to provide one of the headphone mixes while tracking. At mixdown the mono channel DAW return signals can be routed to the CUE ST bus and then summed into Mix A, so there are 16 main faders + 16 Cue ST inputs + 4 Stereo channels providing 40 summing inputs (using the stereo returns and insert Sum functions you can squeeze in over 50 summing inputs). There is also a fully-featured monitoring section with bass management (3 sets of speakers + subwoofer), Foldback A and B with individual talkbacks for headphone mixes and a built in Listen Mic input + classic compressor circuit, with its own direct output.
XL-Desk features 8 of SSL's patented Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD) microphone preamps, built-in to the first 8 channels of the console. The VHD pre can deliver clean SSL grade recordings but also features the VHD circuit used in our acclaimed Duality console* which can be switched into the signal path. The Variable Harmonic Drive circuit uses a 100% analogue signal path to generate rich harmonic distortion. As you increase the input gain, the Variable Harmonic Drive circuit introduces either 2nd or 3rd harmonic distortion or a blend of the two to your source material. At lower gain settings it adds gentle valve-style warmth or a touch of transistor edge. As the gain is increased the more extreme the distortion becomes until at high gain settings it delivers fierce trashy transistoresque grunge. VHD pre's give the user the ultimate versatility from a studio grade preamp. Whether it's ultra-clean traditional SSL, subtle warming or totally trashy transistor distortion, VHD will change your expectations of what a preamplifier should deliver.
• 20 + 1 fader, over 40 input SuperAnalogueTM SSL console
• 8-built in Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD) preamps
• 16 dual input mono channels (switchable between main input or DAW return)
• 4 stereo channels (switchable to mono for tracking)
• The legendary Stereo Bus Compressor, with new high-pass filter sidechain
• 18-slot 500 format rack built-in, accessible from channels or mix busses
• In addition to a 500 rack insert each mono channel also has a standard insert point
• 4 stereo Mix Buses with their own insert points and access to the 500 rack
• One stereo and 2 mono aux sends. Two dedicated stereo return inputs
• Direct outputs on every channel, stereo return and mix bus for stem printing
• Fully-featured monitoring section with bass management
• Foldback A and B with individual talkbacks for headphone mixes
• Built in Listen Mic input + classic compressor circuit, with its own direct output
• AFL and Solo-In-Place solo modes, with Solo Clear and Solo Safe (Protect) modes
• Balanced D-Sub rear panel inputs/outputs & Front panel headphones & iJack sockets
• High quality internal PSU
Find Similar Products
Find similar products with the same specifications as Solid State Logic (SSL) - XL-Mixing Desk - A modern twist on the classic analogue studio console. . Please choose from the list below.