An interface allows you to get audio or control signals in and out of your computer.
PCIe, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 based interfaces are generally best, as they have the fastest connection to the computer and can handle the biggest number of audio channels, although low channels counts, Midi and CV are perfectly able to be transferred via USB at optimal performance.
At the heart of the Digital Audio world lies arguably the most important part of the system, the Analogue to Digital and Digital to Analogue convertors. Simply put, these convertors take an Analogue signal (such as a voice through a microphone) and convert it into a series of numbers, able to be sent great distances or stored over a long time, and then convert them back from digital into Analogue, but without them, we couldn't even begin to make music with our computers.
Most Digital mixers mimic the look of the old analogue desks, but have the advantage of no added noise,easy signal routing and being able to save and load whole templates. There are also usually many on-board effects getting rid of the need for external hardware.
- Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 USB 16x2 Performance and Recording Digital Mixer, 31-Band Stereo EQ on Main Outputs£726.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
Thunderbolt interfaces use an extremely fast connection to not only offer very low latency audio, but many also offer dedicated DSP processing, which wont put any load on your CPU.
- Antelope Discrete 4 Console-Grade Discrete Microphone Interface With Basic FX Pack, Real-Time FPGA FX£690.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Antelope Discrete 4 Console-Grade Discrete Microphone Interface With Premium FX Pack, Real-Time FPGA FXWas: £1,115.00£936.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Antelope Discrete 8 Console-Grade Microphone Preamp Interface With Premium FX, 8 Class A Mic Pres, Real-Time FPGA FX£1,330.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Antelope Orion Studio rev. 2017 Hybrid Audio Interface + 2 Edge Solo + 4 Verge Modeling Microphones£2,160.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
"USB & Firewire audio interfaces offer high quality inputs and outputs for recording and playing back your audio. With the added advantage of being easy to transport and move between systems, they are a popular solution for performers wishing to have a single high quality interface they can move between the studio and stage with ease." Suggested updated phrase - 293 words. USB audio interfaces due to their portability and often great value remain perhaps the most common audio interfaces in use today. With USB being the computer worlds most widely supported connection standard, through using an USB audio interface it allows us the flexibility of having it either in the studio or to easily take it out on the road with you. This means that you can use the same high quality audio I/O connections and quality recording signal path found within your audio interface, no matter where your projects may take you. Regular USB audio interfaces are likely to be based around the classic USB
- Alesis Miclink AudioLink Series XLR-to-USB Cable 48KHz, 24 Bit£20.40£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Alesis Gutarlink Plus - USB 1.1, 44.1 kHz, 16 Bit,, 1 / 0 Analogue I/O, Inc. Guitar Rig LE Software£21.00£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- MOTU TRACK 16 - FW 400 / USB 2, 192 kHz, 24 Bit, 2 Mic Pre's , 7 / 6 Analogue I/O, ADAT I/O£402.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Steinberg UR-RT4 USB 2.0 Audio Interface incl. Neve Transformers, D-PRE mic preamps & iPad connectivity£419.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET