Memory - RAM
Random Access Memory (RAM) is where data the CPU is working with is temporarily stored. More RAM is generally better, although there are diminishing returns above 16GB for consumer PC, while 32-bit versions of Windows only support a maximum of 4GB. Speed, measured in MHz, is another consideration, as is latency, but most importantly memory needs to be compatible with your motherboard: it'll either be DDR, DDR2, DDR3 or DDR4, and modern AMD- and Intel-based PCs use DDR4 memory alone. Smaller SODIMM modules for laptops and mini PCs and ECC registered memory for servers are all available in this category.
DDR4 SDRAM is the fastest and most efficient consumer memory available. It's compatible with Intel's Broadwell-E which run in quad-channel and Kaby Lake & Skylake CPUs which run in dual-channel modes. It is also compatible with AMD's latest RYZEN CPUs running in a dual-channel configuration. The modules found here are intended for use with Intel Broadwell-E or Haswell-E CPUs, using an Intel X99 motherboard which runs in quad-channel mode. That's what these modules are designed for, so they're sold in matching kits of four or eight. These are the mid-range kits, with a speed of 2,666MHz.
- 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB, PC4-21300 (2666), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-35, RGB LED, XMP 2.0, 1.2V£281.48£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
The Mac Memory SODIMMs allow users to maximize memory bandwidth and minimize performance bottlenecks to deliver a superior user experience. Built to Corsair’s legendary quality and reliability standards, each module is tested to ensure maximum compatibility. Each Mac Memory module is individually tested and certified to be compatible with Apple products.
- 1GB Corsair Value Select, DDR2 SO-DIMM PC2-5300 (667), 200 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-15£21.98£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
SO-DIMMs are a smaller alternative to a DIMM, being roughly half the size of regular DIMMs. SO-DIMMS are often used in systems which have space restrictions such as notebooks, small footprint PCs such as those with a Mini-ITX motherboard and high-end upgradable office printers.
- 1GB Corsair Value Select, DDR SO-DIMM PC3200 (400), 200 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 3-3-3-8£5.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
DDR4 server memory brings maximum speed and efficiency to Intel's six-channel Xeon Scalable platform.
Server memory is designed to have rock solid stability 24/7. ECC (error correcting code) modules are immune to errors, while registered/buffered sticks reduce memory controller load and ensure additional stability when using many modules together. Motherboards need to support ECC and registered memory for these features to work. These particular modules are rated up to 2666MHz.
- 8GB (1X8GB) Samsung M393A1G40EB2-CTD Server RAM, DDR4, Low Profile, PC4-21300 (2666), ECC Reg (RDIMM), 288 Pin, 1.2VWas: £47.99£41.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Server Memory is specifically designed for rock-solid stability in demanding server applications. Data lines are carefully engineered for noise immunity; clock lines are optimized for minimum skew.
- 2GB Server Memory, DDR PC3200 (400), ECC Registered,£108.00£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
High-end memory modules can be overclocked to deliver extra speed. If you fancy ramping up your RAM, coolers like these will improve heat dissipation and prevent turbo-charged chips from overheating. They look fantastic, too, so they're useful if you're going for a particular aesthetic in your latest PC build.
- Xclio ATRCOORAM01 Memory Heat Spreader Black Aluminum for Long DIMM SDR/DDR 1/2/3 RAM£1.49£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Xclio Xtreme Copper Memory Cooler/Spreader for DDR/DDR2/3/4 - with 3M Thermal Bonding - Very Hi-End£1.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY