Hard Drives - External
External hard disks are ideal for backup or portable file storage, and these drives come in a large range of categories: some use desktop-sized 3.5in hard disks, other use smaller 2.5in drives, and faster products use SSDs. Most drives use USB 3, Thunderbolt or eSATA connections, and these drives can come in different types of case – some are designed to be tiny, and others are ruggedized to stand up to dust, water and even fire.
Combining Super Speed USB 3.0 with a SATA hard drive interface results in an external hard drive with high data transfer rates. A 1.8" to 2.5" internal SATA hard drive fits into these enclosures. Power to these enclosures are either via the USB 3.0 connection or a separate power lead, check specifications of the individual product to confirm.
- Icy Box External USB 3.0 enclosure for 2.5" SATA HDDs/SSDs, Write protection switch£11.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Icybox External 2.5" Hard Drive enclosure, for 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD, with USB Cable, Bus powered£11.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Icy Box USB 3.1 External enclosure, For M.2 SATA and mSATA SSDs£51.49£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- StarTech.com USB 3.0/eSATA to SATA Standalone Hard Drive Duplicator Dock, 2x 3.5/2.5", SATA III, Upto 4TB Drives£89.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
On-set or in the studio our range of ruggedized professional storage systems connect directly to your Windows PC or Mac. HDD or SSD in RAID offer increased read/write speeds and reliability making it the ideal choice for multi-channel HD and 4K workflow. Updated
- OWC 1TB Aura SSD PCIe-Based Flash Storage Mid to late 2013 MBP and MBA Upgrade Kit£700.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
These medium-size NAS units hold three or four HDDs. Entry-level units are great for home users and prosumers with lots of HD media and other data that needs centralising, while more advanced units come with faster processors and more advanced security and RAID features for business and surveillance users. These units are not sold with hard disks so you'll need to add your own – it's best to get matching models and capacities, especially if you plan on using RAID.
- 4 Bay QNAP TS-431X-8G 10GbE Desktop NAS Enclosure with 8GB RAMWas: £529.99£503.99
These NAS units are the largest around, offering five HDD bays at a minimum and ten or more in many cases. They are typically geared towards advanced users who need plenty of storage space, and many are supplied in rackmount cases for use in industry and large-scale businesses. These units are not sold with hard disks so you'll need to add your own – it's best to get matching models and capacities, especially if you plan on using RAID.
NAS (network attached storage) device accessories, including drive bay adaptors, rack and rail mounting kits, power supplies and warranty extension programs. They tend to be suitable only for specific NAS units, so check yours is compatible.
- QNAP LAN-10G1SR Internal Fiber 10 Gigabit SFP+ networking card£99.98£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
These NAS units are sold with hard disks bundled, saving you the trouble of buying them yourself. They come in a range of sizes and capacities, from single bay 2TB units suitable for modest personal users all the way to large, multi-bay units with 16TB, 24TB or even 32TB of storage on tap. These units do not come pre-configured, giving you the chance to set them up as you see fit, including what RAID level you want to use, if any.