Hard Drives - External
External hard drives are ideal for backup or portable file storage, and these drives come in a large range of categories: some use desktop-sized 3.5in hard disks, other use smaller 2.5in drives, and faster products use SSDs. Most drives use USB 3, Thunderbolt or eSATA connections, and these drives can also come in different types of case – some are designed to be tiny, and others are ruggedised to stand up to dust, water and even fire.
These external drives use mobile 2.5in hard disks, which mean they're a lot more portable than desktop drives. They've got capacities that range from 250GB to 4TB, most use super-fast USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt connections, and many include backup applications and cloud storage deals for added security.
- 1TB Seagate STDR1000201 External Backup Plus Slim Portable Hard Drive Silver£47.98£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERYPre order
- 4TB Seagate STDR4000900 Backup Plus Portable External HDD, Includes 2 Years 200GB of Cloud Storage, USB 3.0, Silver£119.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERYPre order
These high-end external hard disks have Wi-Fi connections, so they can be used to transfer and access files without a wired connection is being used at all - perfect if you're on the road or elsewhere in the house. They've got added versatility thanks to rapid USB 3.0 wired connections, and some come without hard disks if you'd like to save money by using existing drives.
- Hyperdrive iUSBport Mini Wireless Flash Drive, Micro SDXC Card Reader and USB Port, For iPhone/iPad and AndroidWas: £35.48£5.47£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- 1TB ASUS WHD-A2 Travelair N WiFi Hard Drive built-in 3300mAh battery and SD Card reader inc One-Touch NFC SupportWas: £64.99£57.59£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Direct Attached Storage or DAS is an external storage device that is connected directly to a server or workstation without a network device in between (ie there is no hub, switch or router required) using USB, Firewire or eSATA for example. This direct connection ensures fast access to data. A DAS will work as though the hard drives are internally connected, meaning drives can be partitioned, formatted and set up like any other internal hard drive or raid array. These DAS devices are available for standalone desk or rack mounting.
Combining Super Speed USB 3.0 with a SATA hard drive interface results in an external hard drive with high data transfer rates. A 3.5" internal SATA hard drive fits into these enclosures. Power to these enclosures are either via the USB 3.0 connection or a separate power lead, check specifications of the individual product to confirm.
- Heisei HHU-335AS Aluminium Enclosure, Fits 3.5" SATA II/III - 3Gb/s HDD, 1 x USB 3.0£28.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
On-set or in the studio our range of ruggedized professional storage systems connect directly to your Windows PC or Mac. HDD or SSD in RAID offer increased read/write speeds and reliability making it the ideal choice for multi-channel HD and 4K workflow. Updated
- Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus 6Gb/s SATA Dual 2.5" SSD PCI Express 2.0 Adapter Card (with eSATA Ports)£306.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
These NAS units are the largest around, offering five HDD bays at a minimum and ten or more in many cases. They are typically geared towards advanced users who need plenty of storage space, and many are supplied in rackmount cases for use in industry and large-scale businesses. These units are not sold with hard disks so you'll need to add your own – it's best to get matching models and capacities, especially if you plan on using RAID.
If need more info to help you choose the right NAS, or you can't see the exact specification you'd like custom built NAS please click here.