Hard Drives - External
External hard drives are ideal for backup or portable file storage, and these drives come in a large range of categories: some use desktop-sized 3.5in hard disks, other use smaller 2.5in drives, and faster products use SSDs. Most drives use USB 3, Thunderbolt or eSATA connections, and these drives can also come in different types of case – some are designed to be tiny, and others are ruggedised to stand up to dust, water and even fire.
These external drives use mobile 2.5in hard disks, which mean they're a lot more portable than desktop drives. They've got capacities that range from 250GB to 4TB, most use super-fast USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt connections, and many include backup applications and cloud storage deals for added security.
- 500GB Seagate STEA500400 Expansion Portable External 2.5" USB3.0, Bus Powered, Black PC/MACWas: £34.99£32.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- 1TB Seagate STDR1000203 Backup Plus Slim, USB 3.0, Bus Powered, External Portable HDD, RedWas: £41.99£38.39£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- 2TB Maxtor HX-M201TCB M3 Portable External HDD, 1xUSB 3.0, Bus Powered with SafetyKey, PC/MAC Carbon BlackWas: £58.37£53.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
These larger drives use desktop-style 3.5in hard disks, which means they're better suited to sitting on a desk than being carried around in a bag, but their larger profile does mean big capacities: some of these products serve up a whopping 4TB of space. Their 7,200rpm spindle speeds mean file transfer are quicker than 2.5in drives, too.
- Seagate 3TB Expansion Desktop, USB3.0, External Hard DriveWas: £82.99£75.59£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- 16TB LaCie 2big Dock Storage with Thunderbolt 3, USB3.0, 3.1 Type C Connectivity, RAID and Display Port
External SSDs are ideal for users looking for lightweight, portable and speedy storage. Their pocket-friendly enclosures are significantly smaller and lighter than external hard drives, and with no moving parts they're also silent, more robust and less prone to physical shock damage. They use the USB 3 interface, which is 10 times faster than and backwards compatible with USB 2.
- 1TB Samsung Portable SSD T5, External, Deep Black, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (10Gbps), 540MB/s Transfer, 2x Cables, RetailWas: £159.98
- 1TB Samsung Portable SSD T5, External, Red, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (10Gbps), 540MB/s Transfer, 2x Cables, RetailWas: £166.49
- 1TB Samsung Portable SSD T5, External, Rose Gold, USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (10Gbps), 540MB/s Transfer, 2x Cables, RetailWas: £165.98
- 500GB LaCie STFS500400 Thunderbolt USB-C Rugged External 2.5" Solid State Drive£201.98£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Direct Attached Storage or DAS is an external storage device that is connected directly to a server or workstation without a network device in between (ie there is no hub, switch or router required) using USB, Firewire or eSATA for example. This direct connection ensures fast access to data. A DAS will work as though the hard drives are internally connected, meaning drives can be partitioned, formatted and set up like any other internal hard drive or raid array. These DAS devices are available for standalone desk or rack mounting.
Quickport HDD Docks allows an internal hard drive to be instantly docked and accessed without having to open your system. These units sit externally and connect via USB and/or eSATA. Check individual products for exact hard drive and PC connectivity.
- ICY BOX IB-120CL-U3 Docking and Clone Station for 2.5" or 3.5" SATA HDD to USB 3.0 HostWas: £47.99£45.98£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- ICY BOX IB-141CL Docking Station for 2.5"/3.5" SATAI/II/III HDD/SSD Clone Function, JBOD Support, USB 3.0Was: £116.48£107.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Blackmagic Design UHD 4K 25 SD card slot H.265 duplicator, SD Card Support: Class 10 minimum, Supports UHS-I and UHS£1,860.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
On-set or in the studio our range of ruggedized professional storage systems connect directly to your Windows PC or Mac. HDD or SSD in RAID offer increased read/write speeds and reliability making it the ideal choice for multi-channel HD and 4K workflow.