An interface allows you to get audio or control signals in and out of your computer.
PCIe, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 based interfaces are generally best, as they have the fastest connection to the computer and can handle the biggest number of audio channels, although low channels counts, Midi and CV are perfectly able to be transferred via USB at optimal performance.
At the heart of the Digital Audio world lies arguably the most important part of the system, the Analogue to Digital and Digital to Analogue convertors. Simply put, these convertors take an Analogue signal (such as a voice through a microphone) and convert it into a series of numbers, able to be sent great distances or stored over a long time, and then convert them back from digital into Analogue, but without them, we couldn't even begin to make music with our computers.
- Ferrofish Pulse16 DX 16×16 AD/DA, Dante, MADI & ADAT Converter£1,699.99FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
Most Digital mixers mimic the look of the old analogue desks, but have the advantage of no added noise,easy signal routing and being able to save and load whole templates. There are also usually many on-board effects getting rid of the need for external hardware.
- Soundcraft Ui16- 16-input Remote-Controlled Digital Mixer B-Stock£306.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
PCI based audio interfaces are internal sound cards fitted inside your system. Whilst not as portable as the USB & Firewire variants they can offer slightly better latency in some situations due to the direct connection to the motherboard and the drivers having more direct control over the hardware.
- RME HDSPe AIO, PCIe (x1) Interface, 192 kHz, 24 Bit, Highest Performance Analogue Card, 8.9 Dawbench LLP (B-Stock)£480.00£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Thunderbolt interfaces use an extremely fast connection to not only offer very low latency audio, but many also offer dedicated DSP processing, which wont put any load on your CPU.
- Antelope Audio Discrete 4 Synergy Core Audio Interface - USB/Thunderbolt£885.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core Audio Interface - USB/Thunderbolt£1,399.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Merging Anubis Premium AD/DA , AES67 up to DSD/DXD - 4 analogueI/O, GPIO, MIDI.£2,095.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core - USB/Thunderbolt£2,555.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
USB & Firewire audio interfaces offer high quality inputs and outputs for recording and playing back your audio. With the added advantage of being easy to transport and move between systems, they are a popular solution for performers wishing to have a single high quality interface they can move between the studio and stage with ease.
- IK Multimedia iRig Pre HD Audio Interface, 24bit / 96kHz, XLR Mic Input, USB Bus Powered / Battery Powered£75.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET