Internal sound cards are a great upgrade if you want your games and movies to sound better – or if you’re interested in audio production. They use PCI or PCI-Express connections, and have 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 and 7.1 port configurations on their backplates. These don’t have to be an expensive upgrade, but make sure you’ve got a spare slot on your motherboard first.
Used when internal computer space is limited or when using a laptop / netbook. These external sound cards connect using via USB and provide all the features and functionality of internal units. Check individual product to confirm specifications.
- ROCCAT Juke Virtual Surround Sound 7.1 USB Stereo Soundcard/Headset Adapter, Black£13.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- ASUS Xonar U7 Compact 7.1-Channel USB 2.0 External Soundcard, C-Media 6632A, 192kHz/24-bit, with Headphone Amp, Win/MacWas: £89.99£76.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Firewire interfaces come in two varieties, Firewire 400 (1394a) which use a 6pin connector and Firewire 800 (1394b) which use a 9 pin connector. Most Firewire interfaces offer lower audio latency than many USB units and many can be used with Apple's Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter. You can use Firewire 400 devices on a Firewire 800 connection using a 9pin to 6 pin adapter cable. Firewire interfaces are still very popular in the audio industry, as it is possible for some of them to be daisy chained together for high track counts. Firewire can sometimes be a compatibility minefield on windows, Scan Pro Audio's technical department has an enormous multi manufacturer knowledge base for firewire compatibility, so please feel free to ask us when you are planning a purchase.
- Presonus FireStudio Project 10x10 24-bit, 96 kHz FireWire Recording System - B-Stock£325.99FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
USB & Firewire audio interfaces offer high quality inputs and outputs for recording and playing back your audio. With the added advantage of being easy to transport and move between systems, they are a popular solution for performers wishing to have a single high quality interface they can move between the studio and stage with ease.
- Steinberg 242 USB Audio Interface, 24-Bit/192 kHz, Class-A D-Pre Mic Preamps, Latency Free Monitoring, MISI I/O, iOS£149.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL - USB 2, 96 kHz, 24 Bit, 4 Mic Pre's , 4 / 4 Analogue I/O, Inc. Studio One Artist - B-Stock£171.98FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- PreSonus Studio 192 USB 3.0 Audio Interface and Studio Command Centre - B-Stock£591.98FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- MOTU 8D- AES3 and S/PDIF USB Audio Interface Professional Digital I/O With SRC, AVB Ethernet, AES/EBU
- MOTU LP32 ADAT Optical / USB / AVB-TSN Audio Interface with DSP and Mixing, 32 Channels of ADAT Lightpipe I/O
- MOTU M64 AES3 and S/PDIF USB Audio Interface, 256 Channels of MADI I/O, AVB Networking, DSP Mixing and FX