SATA III 6Gb/s SSDs may no longer be the fastest around thanks to emerging PCIe SSDs, but they're the most cost-effective and are still easily fast enough for most users. You'll need a spare SATA 6Gb/s port to get the most from them, and a 2.5” capable drive bay – an adaptor may need to be bought, but most cases have at least one. These drives are the highest capacity ones available, suitable for holding an operating system, as well as numerous programs and a healthy collection of media and games.
- 128GB OCZ Vertex 450, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, Indilinx Barefoot 3 M10, 20nm MLC, Read 525MB/s, Write 290MB/s£80.54£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
mSATA SSDs easily fit in the palm of your hand, yet are available in capacities up to 1TB, often without any performance hit over using a 2.5” model. While newer laptops are shifting to the M.2 connector, mSATA slots are still found on previous generation motherboards and laptops. These SSDs are great for providing such systems with a fast, silent storage upgrade.
- Lycom mSATA to SATA PCIe 2.0 Adapter Card with Hybrid Drive£19.49£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Hybrid hard drives combine a traditional, high capacity mechanical HDD section with a smaller, flash-based SSD section that acts as a cache, giving your system a boost in responsiveness. They won't be as fast as a pure SSD, but they're a great compromise between speed and capacity.
- 1TB Seagate ST1000DX002 3.5" FireCuda, SSHD, 8GB cMLC NAND, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, 19.87 mm Height, OEM£69.98£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
These 3.5" hard drives are available in 2TB, 3TB, and 4TB sizes. They utilise the newer SATA III 6Gb/s interface, ensuring as high speeds as possible with their mechanical technology, especially when using them in RAID. They're the most popular drives for today's desktop PCs, thanks to high spindle speeds, lots of cache and huge capacities.
- 2TB Seagate ST2000DM009 BarraCuda Pro, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 128MB Cache, 8.5ms, OEM£114.49£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- 4TB Seagate ST4000DM006 BarraCuda Pro, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 128MB Cache, 8.5ms, OEM£167.48£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
These 3.5" hard drives are available in 5TB, 6TB, 8TB, 10TB and 12TB sizes. They utilise the newer SATA III 6Gb/s interface, ensuring as high speeds as possible with their mechanical technology, especially when using them in RAID. They're the most popular drives for today's desktop PCs, thanks to high spindle speeds, lots of cache and huge capacities.
2.5" drives are significantly smaller than standard 3.5" ones, making them great candidates for upgrading the storage of your laptop or games console, especially as they're available in capacities of 2TB, 3TB, 4TB and 5TB. Remember to check the height of the drives, as most portable or console systems only have bays which support 9.5mm drives or less. Also pay attention to the spin speed in rpm; while all drives here use the latest SATA III 6Gbps interface, faster spinning drives will read and write data faster.
- 2TB Seagate Guardian BarraCuda HDD, 2.5", SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7mm Form Factor, 128MB Cache, 5400rpm£77.48£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- 3TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" HDD, SATA III - 6GB/s, 15mm Form Factor, 5400rpm, 128MB Cache, OEM£112.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY