A microphone transforms sound waves into electrical energy, which can then be connected up to a mixing console, interface or recorder or a standalone preamp, which boosts the low voltage microphone signal to line level. All microphones have a certain “Polar Pattern” which shows in what direction the microphone picks up in, these could be cardioid (directional), supercardiod (very directional) or Omnidirectional (non-directional).
There are differing types of microphone which are most suitable for specific applications, such as directional “shotgun” microphones for location recording or large diaphragm condenser microphones for close miked studio vocals. USB microphones integrate the interface into the microphone itself.
Condenser (or Capacitor) microphones are fantastic for detailed recording work. When using them for vocal recording, think about if you need a pop filter (to stop plosives) or a reflection shield to minimise room noise on recordings and produce a clearer result. All condenser microphones need a power supply from somewhere, either battery or 48V Phantom Power from a desk or interface.
- sE X1 S Condenser Microphone, Cardioid, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 85 dB SNR, XLR, Hand-Crafted 1" Capsule£149.99FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- ADK ODIN Cardiod Condensor Microphone, Three-Way High Frequency Switch, Two-Way Pad & HP Filter£219.98FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- ADK Studio A6 Cardioid Condensor Microphone, Low Noise, Class A, 131dB SPL At 0.5% THD£219.98FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- sE X1 S Studio Bundle Includes sE X1 S Cardioid Condensor Microphone, Isolation Pack and RF-X Reflexion Filter£250.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- sE X1 S Vocal Pack - Includes sE X1 S Cardioid Condensor Microphone Plus Isolation Pack With Shock Mount And Pop Shield£250.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- ADK Hamburg Mk8 Cardioid Condensor Microphone - Class A Pressure Gradient FET, 126dB Max SPL, 200Ohm£277.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- ADK Vienna Mk8 Cardioid Condenser Microphone, Low Noise, Class A Pressure Gradient FET, 200 Ohm, Ideal For Vocals£277.49FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- ADK THOR Tri-Polar Pattern Condensor Microphone, Low Noise, High SPL, Balanced Output Stage£349.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Warm Audio WA-14 Large Diaphragm Condenser Microphone, Three Polar Patterns, 20Hz to 20kHz, Cinemag USA Transformer£499.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
'Mic accessories' covers a broad range of equipment that allows filmmakers to adapt to the challenges of recording in the field. Purchasing a quality video mic is only the first step if our aim is to gather clean audio at source. To mitigate extraneous noise from wind, handling and cables, you may also need a high quality pistol grip, on-camera shock mount, mic stand/boom pole with cable clips and high quality balanced XLR leads. Speak to our team of experts for advice on the best solution for your workflow. Scan Pro Video are here to help.