An interface allows you to get audio or control signals in and out of your computer.
PCIe, Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 based interfaces are generally best, as they have the fastest connection to the computer and can handle the biggest number of audio channels, although low channels counts, Midi and CV are perfectly able to be transferred via USB at optimal performance.
Firewire interfaces come in two varieties, Firewire 400 (1394a) which use a 6pin connector and Firewire 800 (1394b) which use a 9 pin connector. Most Firewire interfaces offer lower audio latency than many USB units and many can be used with Apple's Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter. You can use Firewire 400 devices on a Firewire 800 connection using a 9pin to 6 pin adapter cable. Firewire interfaces are still very popular in the audio industry, as it is possible for some of them to be daisy chained together for high track counts. Firewire can sometimes be a compatibility minefield on windows, Scan Pro Audio's technical department has an enormous multi manufacturer knowledge base for firewire compatibility, so please feel free to ask us when you are planning a purchase.
- Presonus FireStudio Project 10x10 24-bit, 96 kHz FireWire Recording System - B-Stock£325.99FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
USB & Firewire audio interfaces offer high quality inputs and outputs for recording and playing back your audio. With the added advantage of being easy to transport and move between systems, they are a popular solution for performers wishing to have a single high quality interface they can move between the studio and stage with ease.
- Steinberg 242 USB Audio Interface, 24-Bit/192 kHz, Class-A D-Pre Mic Preamps, Latency Free Monitoring, MISI I/O, iOS£149.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL - USB 2, 96 kHz, 24 Bit, 4 Mic Pre's , 4 / 4 Analogue I/O, Inc. Studio One Artist - B-Stock£171.98FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- PreSonus Studio 192 USB 3.0 Audio Interface and Studio Command Centre - B-Stock£591.98FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- MOTU 8D- AES3 and S/PDIF USB Audio Interface Professional Digital I/O With SRC, AVB Ethernet, AES/EBU
- MOTU LP32 ADAT Optical / USB / AVB-TSN Audio Interface with DSP and Mixing, 32 Channels of ADAT Lightpipe I/O
- MOTU M64 AES3 and S/PDIF USB Audio Interface, 256 Channels of MADI I/O, AVB Networking, DSP Mixing and FX