Headphones allow a single user to listen to an audio source privately. They generally come in 2 forms, circumaural and supra-aural. Circumaural headphones completely encumber the ear and black out background noise. Supra-aural headphones sheath the surface of the outer ear but don’t completely seal them in so are more prone to background noise leakage.
Headphones can be further differentiated by their type of ear cups - Closed back headphones mean the outer part of the cups have a hard enclosure which reduces the amount of sound leakage. Open back headphones allow your ears to breath as the outer part of the cups are left open giving you a more natural sound. Semi-open headphones are considered a compromise between open-back and closed-back.
Closed back headphones are more coloured than open back designs, but also isolate the listener and restrict sound leakage. This makes them ideal for tracking, recording or even just for listening whilst outside of the studio.
- AKG K872 Professional Closed Back Reference Headphones, 5Hz to 54kHz, 36 Ohm, 1.5 Tesla - B-Stock£720.49£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERYPre order
Open back headphones are renowned for their accuracy and wide stereo field when compared to closed back models. This makes them ideal for critical listening and mixdown work in the studio. Their open back design however make them less suitable for tracking, recording and location work.
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro Closed Back, Over Ear Studio Headphones 80 Ohm - B-Stock£101.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 - 600 Ohm Headphones, Open Back, Over Ear - B-Stock£143.48£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Audeze LCD-3 Zebrano Wood Leather-Free Headphones with Microsuede Earpads & Ruggedized Travel Case - B Stock£1,529.48£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
Headsets usually comprise of lightweight headphones and a microphone.
- Sennheiser HMD 26-II-600-X3K1 Headset, 600 Ohms Impedance, Dynamic Microphone, Hyper-Cardioid, Includes XLR Cable£420.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKETPre order