Guitar amplifiers take the weak electrical signal from a guitar pickup and boosts the signal to drive one or more speakers. There are two configurations of guitar amplifiers. “Combo” amplifiers include an amplifier and house one or more loudspeakers in a wooden cabinet. Standalone amplifiers (known as the “head”) don’t include a loudspeaker(s) but instead pass the amplified signal to one or more external speaker cabinets via a speaker cable.
There are several types of guitar amplifier: Tube amps (also known as valve amps) use vacuum tubes to increase the amplitude of a signal. Solid-state amps use transistors and diodes to amplify the signal. There are then hybrids which utilize a combination of the two.
Acoustic guitar amplifiers are specifically designed to produce a clean, transparent, acoustic sound. They will usually have a relatively flat frequency response so as not to "colour" the sound too much.
Guitars require a specially voiced amplifier and cabinet in order to sound good. That's why just putting an electric guitar through a PA doesn' work. The cabinets can be different combinations of speakers and speaker sizes and most importantly will have a specific 'Ohm-age' that must be adhered to when connecting the amplifier head.
Guitar amps are specifically voiced to make a guitar sound good, and Amp heads come in different power ranges and sizes. Some are very plain, some have bells and whistles, but they all must be paired with the correct 'Ohm-age' of cabinet.
- Bluguitar AMP 1 NANOTUBE 100 Professional Amplifier, For Guitar, 4 Channel, Silver£539.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Two Notes Torpedo Reload Power Attenuator, Multi-Impedance Load-Box, DI and Re-amping Box£589.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
Sometimes justlifting your amp higher, or tilting your amp or combo backwards and projecting the sound upwards instead of straight out into the audience, can make all the difference to your sound. For this you need an amp stand...
- Fishman Transport Cover For Loudbox Mini Amp, Black£26.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Fishman Transport Cover For Loudbox Artist Amp, Black£34.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Fishman Transport Cover For Loudbox Performer Amp, Black£43.99£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- BluGuitar BLUBOX Speaker Cabinet And Microphone Emulator, 16 Cabinets, Ultra Low Latency, Authentic Cab Simulations£219.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
A combo amplifier contains both the amplifier head and speaker cabinet in one intergrated unit.
- FISHMAN Loudbox Mini, Balanced XLR output, For Guitars, Acoustic Amplifier£299.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- FISHMAN LOUDBOX PERFORMER Amplifier, 180 watts Bi-amplified Acoustic sound, 2 input channels£759.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Amplug2 Cab 2-watt powered mini speaker cabCall for price
- VOX amPlug 2 AC30 - Headphone Modeling AmpCall for price
- VOX amPlug 2 Classic - Metal Headphone AmpCall for price
- VOX amPlug 2 Classic Rock - Headphone Modeling Amp£39.00£5.48 NEXT DAY DELIVERY
- Vox AmPhones BASS Guitar Effect built into HeadphonesCall for price
- VOX MINI 3 - 3-Watt Mains/Battery Modelling Amplifier with Effects, Black Finish£84.90FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- VOX MINI 3 G2 - 3-Watt Mains/Battery Modelling Amplifier with Effects, Ivory Finish£97.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Roland MICRO CUBE GX, Ultra-Compact Amp With Custom Speaker, 8 COSM Amp Tones, 8 DSP Fx, i-CUBE LINK for iOS - Black£115.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Roland MICRO CUBE GXR, Ultra-Compact Amp With Custom Speaker, 8 COSM Amp Tones, 8 DSP Fx, i-CUBE LINK for iOS - Red£115.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Roland MICRO CUBE GXW, Ultra-Compact Amp With Custom Speaker, 8 COSM Amp Tones, 8 DSP Fx, i-CUBE LINK for iOS - White£115.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Boss KATANA-50 Guitar Amplifier, 50 Watts, 12-inch Speaker, 55 BOSS effects£209.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Boss KATANA-100 Guitar Amplifier, 100 Watts, 12-inch Speaker, 55 BOSS effects£213.05FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer, Studio-Quality Voice and Guitar Processing, Real-Time Harmonies, Looping£299.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- BluGuitar NANOCAB 1 X 12 Speaker Cabinet, 12" Speaker, 60W, 8 Ohm, 1x Mono In, 1x Parallel Out, 1x Serial Out£319.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- BluGuitar FATCAB 1X12 Speaker Cabinet, 12" Speaker, Closed Back, 60W, 8 Ohm, 1x Mono In, 1x Parallel Out, 1x Serial Out£449.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
- FISHMAN Loudbox Artist Acoustic Amplifier, Balanced XLR outputs, 120 watts, Bi-Amped, Aux Stereo Input, 2 Mic Channels£499.00FREE DELIVERY ON YOUR ENTIRE BASKET
When it comes to Amplifiers, it's all about the voicing. Guitar amps are voiced especially for Guitars, which is why an Electric guitar just DI'd into a PA doesn't sound so good. Keyboards, need a specially voiced amplifier too,as they emit a much broader spectrum of frequencies. Here are the amplifiers specially designed to sound great when used with keyboards or synths.