Affordable SATA Solution
Are you planning to incorporate external data storage in your computer setup, but need a SATA host controller card to make the connection
Install a Tempo SATA E2P - it's an affordable solution for adding external SATA ports that enable you to hook up single and multi-bay SATA drive enclosures for your mass storage needs.
SATA drive enclosures offer flexibility not found in fixed drive installations inside a computer. Many offer swappable drive trays, which are perfect for managing daily backups and multiple projects, and most are portable. Some enclosures, like Sonnet's Fusion R400Q, feature port multipliers, which enable up to five hard drives to communicate with the host adapter through one cable. Not all host adapter cards support port multipliers, but Tempo SATA E2P does - through its two ports, this card can handle up to ten(1) drives!
Tempo SATA E2P is versatile. It is Mac OS X, Windows Vista, and Windows XP compatible and supports the RAID features(2) of Mac OS X, Windows XP Pro, and Windows Vista. It also supports hot-swapping of drives(3) under Mac OS X. Installation is simple - just plug in the card to any available PCI Express (PCIe) slot, start your computer, and install a driver. When you need to add flexible, portable storage to your setup, Tempo SATA E2P gets you connected.
(1) Support for 10 drives requires the use of drive enclosures employing port multipliers (like Sonnet's Fusion D500P, Fusion D400Q, or Fusion R400QR5). When using an enclosure without a port multiplier, Tempo SATA X4P will support 2 drives.
(2) Western Digital manufactures Desktop edition (WD Caviar, Caviar SE, Caviar SE16, and Raptor X) hard drives and Enterprise (RAID) Edition (WD RE, RE2, and Raptor) hard drives. Each type of hard drive is designed to work specifically in either a desktop computer environment, or connected to a RAID controller (hardware or software-based). If you intend to configure Western Digital drives in a RAID set, Sonnet and WD recommend using only their Enterprise edition hard drives. For more information, see this Western Digital FAQ.
(3) SATA drive hot swapping is not supported in a desktop or server PC running Windows XP, Server 2003 or Vista. A SATA drive appears to the system as a not-removable hard drive and there is no mechanism in Windows to prepare the drive for removal.
(4) While some customers have successfully used external hard drives with USB 2.0/eSATA dual interface, these products (based on the Oxford Semiconductor OXU931DS storage controller chip) exhibit underlying errors that prevent them from being fully compatible with this Sonnet product under Mac OS X. Kernel panics occurring when the drive is connected, and the drive not being recognized by the operating system are known issues. These drives include, but are not limited to:
• Western Digital My Book Premium ES Edition
• Seagate Technology FreeAgent Pro
External hard drives with USB 2.0/eSATA dual interface based on the JMicron 20336 are fully compatible. These drives include but are not limited to:
• OWC Mercury On-The-Go USB 2.0/eSATA 2.5" Portable
Sonnet's Fusion D400Q and R400Q quad-interface storage systems are not affected by these issues, and are fully supported
(5) Not compatible with a PCIe 2.0 slot (Slot #2 in 2008 Mac Pro).
Sonnet Tempo SATA E2P External 2-port SATA II, x1 PCIe cardNot all host adapter cards support port multipliers, but Tempo SATA E2P does - through its two ports, this card can handle up to ten(1) drives!
• Affordable solution for adding two eSATA connections to your computer
• Supports single and multi-bay SATA drive enclosures, including those with port multipliers
• Supports up to 10 disk drives(1)(2)
• Hot-swap drive support(3)
• Mac Pro(5)
• Power Mac G5 (with PCI Express slots)
• Mac OS X(4) Version 10.5, 10.4, or 10.3
• PC (with PCI Express slot)(5)
• Windows Vista(3)
• Windows XP SP2(3)