Today's ultra-light notebooks, mini, and all-in-one desktop computers now have tremendous processing power—power that many thought would only be possible in full-size workstation or large desktop computers. Smaller in size and more portable, they're very desirable. For pros in the creative fields, processing power alone is not enough. A prime example is the new Mac Pro®. Reviewers love its performance, but make a point of mentioning its lack of internal expansion capabilities compared to the old towers the new model replaces. If you want to add more capabilities, think external—the new Pro is loaded with Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.0 ports, but it lacks the PCIe expansion slots necessary for you to install specialty high bandwidth NIC cards, or HBAs and RAID controller cards for high-performance storage. With the Echo Express SEL, Sonnet has created a solution that leverages the paradigm shift enabled by Thunderbolt technology, allowing PCIe expansion slots to be connected outside a computer. This very compact desktop Thunderbolt 2-to-PCIe card expansion chassis is ideal for connecting one professional 16Gb or 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, SAS/SATA host bus adapter or RAID controller PCIe card to any Mac® with a Thunderbolt port.
Featuring 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 technology that provides sufficient bandwidth to support many of the highest performance and most demanding PCIe cards, the Echo Express SEL delivers maximum performance when connected to a computer with Thunderbolt 2. The SEL is also fully compatible with computers with 10Gbps Thunderbolt technology, supporting most cards at full-performance.
Full Performance in a Small and Light Package
Thunderbolt 20Gbps IconThe Echo Express SEL is small, light, and perfect for use in situations where only a single low-profile PCIe card is needed. Measuring a scant 4" wide by 8.4" long by 2.8" tall, the SEL was designed specifically to house one low-profile PCIe card. Many of the most popular Thunderbolt-compatible high-speed networking and storage controller cards are a perfect fit. The SEL's small size doesn't limit its performance; installed in this system, a card will perform the same as when installed in an Echo Express SE II, Echo Express III-D, or Echo Express III-R. And like the other Echo Express models, the SEL includes two Thunderbolt ports to support daisy chaining of up to six devices from a single port on your computer.
Designed for Low-Profile PCIe Cards
The Echo Express SEL supports one half-length (up to 6.6"), low-profile, single-width PCIe card. PCIe 1.1, PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0 cards are supported. Do you have a card in mind but aren't sure it's compatible? We've worked closely with PCIe card manufacturers to provide a list of compatible cards on our supporting PCIe Card Thunderbolt Compatibility Chart. The chart provides an up-to-date list of cards that have been tested to be recognized over a Thunderbolt connection and compatible with Thunderbolt technology requirements.
• Thunderbolt 2 Interface — Maximum performance with computers with Thunderbolt 2 technology, backward compatible with host computers and other devices equipped with 10Gbps Thunderbolt technology
• Use PCIe Expansion Cards with Computers Lacking Slots — Use high-performance PCIe cards with any Mac with a Thunderbolt port
• Small and Light — Most compact Thunderbolt 2-to-PCIe expansion system available, designed to fit the most popular Thunderbolt-compatible high-speed networking and storage controller interface cards
• One PCIe Slot — Supports low-profile card
• Two Thunderbolt Ports — Daisy chain up to six devices to a single port on the host computer
• Remarkably Quiet — Temperature-controlled, variable-speed fan automatically and quietly cools the card
• Energy Saver Mode — Powers on/off automatically with the computer
• Rugged Aluminum Housing — Provides robust and secure protection for any environment