LaCie 48TB 8big Thunderbolt 2 1U Rackmount 8-Bay DAS
LaCie 48TB 8big Thunderbolt 2 8-Bay 1U Rackmount Direct Attached Storage
to your specified address. |
Receive SMS with one-hour delivery window
Weekend, timed and European delivery options are available at checkout
Have your parcel delivered by DPD to your specified address. Receive SMS with one-hour delivery windowWeekend, timed and European delivery options are available at checkout
Collect from our Bolton store, BL6 6PE |
Order online, collect from our Bolton store (25-28 Enterprise Park, Middlebrook, Horwich, Bolton, BL6 6PE)
• 8 bays in a 1U rack for superb storage density
• Dual Thunderbolt 2 ports for storage expansion
• Hardware RAID and full component redundancy
Thunderbolt 2 - Speeds for the 4K Era
With Thunderbolt 2 technology, the interface is no longer the performance bottleneck. For the 8big Rack, LaCie harnessed the breakthrough performance potential of the Thunderbolt 2 I/O, squeezing the absolute best speeds out of the hard disks. Add a hardware RAID controller and 7200RPM disks, and the result is incredible, sustained speeds of up to 1330MB/s that turbocharge 4K workflows, file transfers, or backups.
With this kind of speed, videographers can work directly from RAW files in Apple® Final Cut Pro® or Adobe® Premiere®, get maximum quality from footage, and see edits in real time. No need to first convert footage into a lower resolution. Avid® Pro Tools® users will notice incredibly smooth audio mixing, even when working with hundreds of tracks simultaneously. Professional photography agencies and other Adobe Lightroom® or Apple Aperture® users can browse through archived libraries of thousands of RAW and edited images, with zero lag.
With full component redundancy, the LaCie 8big Rack gives professionals superb reliability and data security. Fans, disks, and PSU** are fully redundant, hot swappable**, and user-serviceable. And hardware RAID 5/6 provides security against disk failure and data loss, without compromising on transfer speeds. Whatever the contingency, zero data loss, and zero downtime.
Its innovative cooling system prolongs component lifespan, featuring three efficient, thermoregulated cooling fans to drive airflow. A metal sheet beneath the disks dissipates heat, and cool air flows under the sheet to drain hot air away. Above and between the two rows of disks, air flows from front to back, conducting heat away from sensitive components.
The Most Powerful I/O, Reinvented
Thunderbolt technology redefined external storage with its speed and versatility for bandwidth-intensive applications. Thunderbolt 2 builds on those advances by doubling the speed potential to 20Gb/s and enabling simultaneous RAW 4K video editing and display. And thanks to support for DisplayPort 1.2, it’s now possible to daisy chain higher-resolution displays such as 4K monitors.
In addition to higher performances, the Thunderbolt 2 I/O offers dramatically simpler connections than Fibre Channel. Connect the LaCie 8big Rack to a computer via the Thunderbolt cable – no HBA (host bus adapter) necessary – and instantly the volume mounts on your OS. And unlike Fibre Channel, Thunderbolt 2 is truly a plug and play and single-vendor solution. No port mapping or multipathing is required to achieve this performance. Thunderbolt technology even supports optical cables, which means you could connect a LaCie 8big Rack to a computer located up to 60 meters (197 feet) away.
Thanks to dual Thunderbolt 2 ports, you can daisy chain up to six devices to a computer via a single cable (included in the box). For example, you could connect a total of 36 LaCie 8big Racks via the six Thunderbolt 2 ports on a single Mac Pro®, enabling more than 1.7PB (1728TB) and more than 3000MB/s – in a mere 36U. Compared with Fibre Channel solutions, the LaCie 8big Rack delivers outstanding scalability in half the space, a much simpler setup, and unprecedented performance.
Innovative Design, Breakthrough Usability
The LaCie 8big Rack industrial design demolishes the status quo for rack storage, with a relentless focus on usability for professionals.
Packed with Value for Pros
LaCie RAID Manager software gives you a centralized, powerful way to configure and monitor all the LaCie 8big Racks that are connected to a single workstation. From one application, you can control the RAID mode, system monitoring, and email alerts. Select RAID 0, 1 (two-disk configuration only), 5, 6, 10, or JBOD. RAID Manager even supports RAID migration, so you can move from RAID 5 on 4 disks to RAID 5 on 8 disks – without data loss. And system monitoring can alert you of problems or potential problems via desktop notifications or email, so you can address issues before they result in data loss.
For the ultimate in peace of mind and value, the LaCie 8big Rack features a three-year limited warranty. It includes comprehensive, complimentary web-based resources, expert in-house technical support, and worldwide repair and/or replacement coverage. You can even upgrade this service with warranty extensions, fast product replacement, and even data recovery services.
- 2 x Thunderbolt™ 2 ports
Interface Transfer Rate:
Reads | Writes (MB/s)**
- 12TB (4-disk) RAID 0: 800 | 900
- 12TB (4-disk) RAID 5: 600 | 600
- 24TB (8-disk) RAID 0: 1330 | 1060
- 24TB (8-disk) RAID 5: 1150 | 1060
- 48TB (8-disk) RAID 0: 1330 | 1060
- 48TB (8-disk) RAID 5: 1130 | 1020
- Bidirectional 20Gb/s permits a high-resolution display and RAW 4K video editing
- Reduce power consumption by pressing the front button to spin down disks without disrupting daisy chain transfers (short press initiates power-saving mode; long press turns product off completely)
- Preconfigured HFS+ RAID 5
- Hardware RAID 0 / 1 / 5 / 6 / 10 / JBOD
- Configure RAID using LaCie RAID Manager software
- Connect up to six Thunderbolt-compatible devices - including Thunderbolt 2 and LaCie Thunderbolt Series products - to a computer via a single Thunderbolt cable***
- AES 256-bit software encryption
- Cable management arm
- Redundant, hot-swappable fans
- Aluminium front and all-metal enclosure
- Efficient cooling for long-term reliability
- Tool-free component replacement
- Cable-free fan, disk, and PSU connections
- Two-step easy access to components
- Front-facing status LEDs: disks, power, alarm
- ID button: from front or back, user-friendly way to identify a product when many are installed in a rack
- Alarm with mute button
- System monitoring and email alerts for failure and warning events
- Idle: 50dB
- Operating mode: 53dB
- Operating max: 69dB^
- 477 x 44 x 772 mm | 18.9 x 1.7 x 30.4 in.
- With 8 disks: 20 kg | 44 lbs
- With 4 disks: 18 kg | 39 lbs
- Diskless: 15 kg | 33 lbs
System Requirements :
• Computer with a Thunderbolt 2 or Thunderbolt*** port
• Latest version of Windows® 7, Windows 8 / Mac OS® X 10.9 or later
• Minimum free disk space: 600MB recommended
• Intego® Backup Manager Pro
• LaCie Private-Public (protect data with AES 256-bit encryption)
• LaCie RAID Manager (administration console)
• LaCie 8big Rack
• Internal power supply (2x or 1x, depending on model)****
• Thunderbolt cable
• Rack mounting kit
• Hard disks (number based on model)
• Empty hard disk trays and screws (for 4-disk model only)
• Cable management arm kit
• Quick Install Guide
* Hot swapping will result in data loss in a RAID 0 array.
** These transfer rates were achieved using AJA System Test when connected to a 13" Macbook Pro® with a 2.8GHz Intel® Core™ i7 processor and 8GB RAM. Actual data rates may vary depending on operating environment and other factors, such as RAID mode, RAID configuration, and disk capacity.
*** To achieve full interface bandwidth, connect the product to a Thunderbolt 2 port on a computer or device.
**** The 4-disk version ships with a single PSU, and is therefore not hot-swappable. Purchase an additional PSU Kit to ensure full redundancy.
^ These measurements have been made under normal conditions, one meter/three feet from the front of the product. This value may vary with conditions and product configuration.
When referring to drive capacity, one gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one thousand billion bytes. Your computer's operating system may use a different standard of measurement and report a lower capacity. In addition, some of the listed capacity is used for formatting and other functions and will not be available for data storage.
Please note your statutory rights are not affected.
For further information regarding Scan's warranty procedure please see our terms and conditions
- 24 months
- DOA Period:
- 28 days
- RTB Period:
- 24 months
- 0871 472 4747